Churchill Stables together with Mango Bay Eventing caters to riders interested in competing in the eventing discipline. We encourage inquires from riders who are serious about their sport and interested in competing in regional horse shows.
Instruction with Kerry Dirac, Mango Bay Eventing
Under the tutelage of professional eventer Kerry Bosman-Dirac, riders train on farm and travel to compete at regional schooling shows and move up through the levels in USEA Recognized shows. Riders must own or lease to ride with Kerry or participate in our Event Team, please visit the Event Team page for more information.
**Starting April 1st Kerry will be switching to subscription based lesson packages. Payment for you lessons will be automatically renewed each month with the option to cancel at anytime. The basic lesson package starting at $335/month will include four group lessons per month, a ten minute goal/review session each month, access to any videos taken during your lessons, and option to join one group horsemanship lesson per month (in person or zoom). Event Team is a separate package and all members can seamlessly pick up their lesson subscription at the end of Event Team.
Churchill Stables Riding Program with Ellen Allen
All new riders looking to join our lesson program or event team will be required to take a 45-minute riding evaluation. These evaluations will help place you with the appropriate riding level with the correct trainer to assist you with becoming the best rider you can be! For all beginner riders, no evaluation will be required prior to enrolling in our lesson program. Below are the details on each level we offer along with our Horsemanship class pricing and riding equipment requirements.
Level 1 – Consider beginner rider no evaluation ride is required. All rides will be a 30-minute private ride which will assist with getting the rider acclimated to:
- Becoming familiar with order of grooming & haltering and complete tacking up
- Be able to clean up after self-i.e. (put tack away, sweep up)
- Will learn to ride a 15-25-meter circle
- Will learn to ride a straight line off the rail
- Introduce rider to riding with others rules & etiquette
- Riders will also be able to join any of our horsemanship classes.
- Once rider if able to competently complete the above skill requirements they can take level 1 test to move onto Level 2.
Level 2 – These lessons will be a 60-minute lesson, which will include 30 minutes under saddle and 30 minutes to tack and untack horse safely.
- Rider must be able to ride with others safely.
- Must be able to adjust own stirrups while mounted.
- Understands diagonals, can demonstrate balances position.
- Can show independent seat & hand.
- Able to sit a post without stirrups.
- Can walk & trot bareback
- Working on being able to completely tack up independently
- Once rider if able to competently complete the above skill requirements they can take level 2 test to move onto Level 3.
- Rider is able to tack up independently and arrive to correct ring on time and prepared.
- Rider is able to place splint/jump boots on the horse.
- Rider is able to consistently stay on the correct diagonal.
- Rider is able to demonstrate balanced half seat
- Ride can demonstrate 20-meter circle at both the Walk & Trot.
- Rider can demonstrate a balanced sitting trot.
- Rider has been introduced to the canter.
- Understands concepts of leads and accurate steering at the canter.
- Able to complete a trot pole course.
- Consistently quiet contact at all 3 gates.
- Once rider if able to competently complete above riding skills requirements they can take level 3 test to move onto Mango Bay Eventing!
Horsemanship Classes- Looking for a way to get in some extra time in at the barn while improving your skills? We will be offering Horsemanship drop-in classes where you will be able to work on a variety of equine skills that could assist you on accomplish your goals. A few examples include handling your horse on the ground to grooming and tacking up. All levels can join these classes if you have taken a lesson the week of the class you are interested in signing up for. These classes will be held for 60 minutes.
Pricing for Level 1 – Level 3 and Horsemanship Class is $70.00 per lesson/class.
Required Riding Attire: Please see our FAQ page for more details about what to wear riding.
- An ASTM SEI approved Riding helmet (no bicycle helmets)
- Riding boots- We require paddock boot. No rubber boot, cowboy boot, rain boot and snow boot.
- Breeches or riding tights or long pants.